Political and Economic Officer - LE4
About the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) seeks to advance the interests of Australia and Australians internationally. This involves strengthening Australia’s security, enhancing Australia’s prosperity, delivering an effective and high quality overseas aid program and helping Australian travellers and Australians overseas.
The department provides foreign, trade and development policy advice to the Australian Government. DFAT also works with other Australian government agencies to drive coordination of Australia’s pursuit of global, regional, and bilateral interests.
About the position
Under limited direction the Political and Economic Officer undertakes political and economic analysis and reporting at the Australian Embassy in Kuwait.
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Perform high quality analytical research and report on local political, economic and security issues in Kuwait.
- Monitor and report on Kuwait’s regional and international activities, including views and relations with GCC and Middle East countries.
- Manage and report in consultation with post management on selected policy priorities across Kuwait, with a focus on progressing post’s economic and commercial diplomacy agenda.
- Develop and strengthen productive relationships, negotiate and liaise across a broad range of stakeholders to provide an effective Australian contribution on government including foreign missions, researchers, think tanks, NGOs and business
- Develop written reports, briefing papers and media summaries for Embassy and DFAT head office.
- Contribute to the management and delivery of visits to and from Australia, including by Ministers, parliamentarians and senior officials.
- Provide general administration to the Political/Economic Section of the Embassy including provision of translation and interpretation services, political contacts database management and respond to general enquiries about Australian issues and programs.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills including an ability to communicate in English and Arabic
- Demonstrated ability to prioritise, think strategically, apply judgement and innovation to achieve results
- Demonstrated analytical skills in drafting political-economic reports
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to engage a wide range of clients and to develop good working relationships.
- High-level ability to solve problems, be flexible and adapt to new tasks and situations, including willingness to assist with whatever complex or low-level task is required by the team
- Ability to prioritise and meet deadlines and to collaborate as part of a small team
Desirable: Graduate degree or equivalent. A degree in Political Science, Economics or other relevant discipline is desirable but not essential.
Employment Conditions and Eligibility
The Embassy offers an attractive working environment and employment package. Our normal office hours are 8.00am to 4.00pm Sunday to Thursday. The LE4 base salary range is KWD1251.670 to KWD1464.25 per month.
To be eligible for the position, you must be legally resident in Kuwait and complete local security checks.
Your application should consist of the following documents and information:
- A one-page statement of no more than 500 words outlining how your skills, experience and qualifications makes you the best person for the assignment.
- A curriculum vitae (CV) which outlines relevant personal information, career history and two work-related referees.
Applications are to be addressed to the Human Resources Officer. Please send your application in English to [email protected]
Closing date for applications is Thursday 5 August 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Tips and Hints for Job Applications with the Australian Embassy Kuwait
For job applications to be considered by the Australian Embassy Kuwait you must address the selection criteria advertised for each position. Tips and hints on applying for Australian Embassy positions can be found on the following link: Application Guidelines
Applications that do not address the selection criteria advertised for each position will not be considered.